Table of Contents
Once you step through Target’s automatic glass doors, you’re liable to pick up a little (or a lot) more than you intended. For instance, you might run in for milk and leave with new throw pillows, a brand-new lamp, and some curtains you didn’t know you needed. With the target circle app, same day delivery, and the curbside pickup it’s hard not to complete a target order or two!
If you’re trying to avoid those accidental Target splurges, you might prefer the convenience of online shopping, but now you’re probably wondering how to get free shipping at Target!
Shoppers can receive free two-day shipping at Target by simply spending a minimum of $35, but if you can’t quite hit that number, here are six tips you can utilize for free shipping.
#1 Meet the $35 Order Minimum
If your cart is languishing below that $35 subtotal, consider these sneaky ways to snag free shipping at Target:
- The Unofficial Friends and Family Discount – Get together with your friends, family, or neighbor and plan to bundle your Target orders so that you can qualify together for free standard shipping.
- The Order and Return – Add enough to your cart to hit the $35 minimum and then take advantage of Target’s free returns to send back what you don’t need.
- The Coupon Queen – Check out the Target app for any relevant coupons or deals. Target often offers gift cards if you buy a particular product, so you can add a couple of tubes of toothpaste to your cart to hit the $35 minimum and get a free Target gift card.
If for some reason your subtotal still isn’t adding up to $35, here are five more tips and tricks to finagle free shipping at Target.
#2 Register for a Target Credit Card
If you’re a frequent Target shopper, it might be in your best interest to sign up for a Target RedCard. Don’t worry—you’ve got options as a Target Redcard holder! You can choose from:
- The Target Credit Card
- The Target Debit Card
- The Target Mastercard
If you use any of these Target RedCards for your online order, you’ll receive free shipping! But a word to the wise, Target marks some merchandise—usually especially small or inexpensive products—with the note: “only ships with $35 orders.” If you add any of these items to your cart, you will still need to reach the $35 minimum, even if you’re using your Target RedCard.
There’s good news, though! If you add promotions or discounts that drop your order total below $35, you’ll still receive free shipping on these items. Couponers rejoice!
#3 Utilize In-Store Pick Up
So your subtotal still isn’t $35, and you don’t want to open a Target RedCard? No problem.
One of the best things about Target is its enormous stores filled to the brim with inventory. Have you ever done a lap around a Super Target? It’s practically a marathon.
When you’re shopping on Target’s website, you’ll see the option to ship an item or to choose order pick up if it’s available at a Target near you. If you’re only buying a few small things and don’t qualify for free shipping, order pick up is the next best option for your wallet.
Bonus—it’s faster than shipping! You can have your items within a couple of hours. After you’ve placed your order, you’ll receive an email that your purchase is ready. Head over to your local Target, and your items will be waiting for you at the front of the store.
In and out, it’s that easy!
#4 Try Target’s Drive Up Service
Love curbside pickup? When you stop by your neighborhood target, you might notice a lucky few customers sitting in the comfort of their cars waiting as Target team members bring their orders out to them.
Target’s Drive Up service is one of the brand’s best-kept secrets. With order pick up, you still need to go inside Target and possibly wait in line to receive your purchase. With drive up, you don’t even need to leave your car!
The key to accessing this time-saving service is the Target app. When you order on the Target app, you can choose between shipping, delivery (more on that later), order pick up, or drive up.
After you’ve selected drive up and submitted your order, there are just five easy steps to follow:
- Wait to receive an email or notification that your order is ready – This should only take a couple of hours.
- Select “I’m on my way” on the app as you leave the house – This helps prepare the employees to bring out your order.
- Park in the designated drive up spots near the entrance – This orients employees to your location.
- When you arrive, select “I’m at the store” on the app – An employee will bring your order out to your car.
- Have your order ID number ready – This is so the employee can ensure you’re receiving the correct merchandise.
The Target app saves the model and color of your car, so employees can quickly find you. If you enable location services, they’ll even receive a notification when you arrive. You can show them your order ID number through your window for a contactless pick up, and they’ll put your merchandise in your back seat or trunk.
#5 Sign up for Shipt
A lot of shoppers don’t realize the difference between delivery and shipping. It’s a difference that can save you time and money:
- Shipping – Shipping refers to the multi-day process where your order is shipped from a Target warehouse or store to your home.
- Delivery – Delivery refers to the same-day process where your order is picked up from a local Target and dropped off at your home.
Target partners with the company Shipt for its delivery services. You still order online or through the app, but you’ll select delivery at checkout (if the option is available). A Shipt shopper will go to a nearby Target, pick up all the items you want, and drop them off at your door the same day!
Target and Shipt offer a free 4-week trial. After that, you can pay $99/year for unlimited free delivery or pay $9.99 per order for delivery. However, like Target’s shipping policy, you must also spend at least $35 to receive free delivery on your order.
#6 Keep an Eye Out for Coupons and Holiday Deals
Your last chance for securing free shipping at Target is to search for coupon codes. Especially around the holidays, Target will sometimes offer codes for free shipping.
It’s rare, but it’s always worth checking!
Never Forgo Savings with RebateKey
Hopefully, you’re no longer wondering how to get free shipping at Target. Instead, you’re now focusing on finding your next discount. Here at RebateKey, we’re more than happy to help you find deals and save dollars.
We offer cash back and coupons from trusted retailers so you can try new products without sacrificing your piggy bank. You’re likely reading this because you’re a savvy shopper. Ready to save even more money? Then you’re in the right place.