Take a good look at your closet—you might notice a few things hanging there that you’re ready to say goodbye to. The same might be said of toys your kids have outgrown, or decor that you wouldn’t mind parting with (like that clunky coat rack your mother-in-law gave you eight Christmases ago).
Instead of letting these items take up valuable space in your home, you might have considered selling them on one of the internet’s favorite resale sites: PoshMark or Mercari. But which one is right for you?
To help you determine which of these platforms will meet your needs, we’ve broken down the pros and cons of Mercari vs Poshmark.
What is Mercari?
Mercari allows users to buy and sell new or gently used toys, household items, exercise equipment, clothing, and many other items. Over 350 thousand items are listed every day.
Users can create an account to shop or sell on Mercari. Sellers do have to pay fees on each item they sell, but the listing is free and easy to create. You just need a picture and a short description of the item and you can list it.
Pros of Using Mercari
There are some great benefits to using Mercari to sell items from around your house that you don’t use. These include:
- It’s free to create a listing.
- You can ship through Mercari to simplify the process.
- You can sell a wide variety of items.
- The platform has pricing assistance to ensure your item is priced competitively.
- Seller fees are reasonable at 10% per item with an additional 2.9% plus a $0.30 payment processing fee per sale.
Cons of Using Mercari
Mercari is an easy platform for selling items you no longer use, such as clothing. However, there are a few drawbacks to Mercari, including:
- Shipping can be done through Mercari, but there are restrictions that might make the process a bit of a hassle.
- Mercari has a smaller user base than Poshmark (17 million vs 60 million), which might mean fewer sales for you.
You can’t bundle multiple items into one shipping method to lower shipping cost, although they are working on adding this feature in the future.
What is Poshmark?
Like Mercari, the Poshmark app is a platform for people to sell things they no longer need or use, specifically in the categories of clothing for women, men, and children as well as accessories for pets, home, and more.
Learning how to sell on Poshmark is simple: take a picture, write a description, and list your product. The Poshmark selling app also brands itself as a social marketplace, enhancing seller and buyer experiences.
Poshmark allows sellers to host online shopping events and to promote your items by sharing them through their social features.
Pros of Using Poshmark
How does Poshmark work? Poshmark has more than 60 million users for a reason. It’s an easy-to-use and effective platform for selling because:
- You can download the free app and access all the selling features.
- The listing process is very quick and easy.
- You can ship by just printing the label and bringing the item to the post office.
- You can bundle items into one Poshmark shipping package if someone buys more than one thing from your shop.
- The selling fee is straightforward at $2.95 for sales under $15 and 20% on sales over $15.
Cons of Using Poshmark
Like Mercari, Poshmark is also a fantastic platform if you have things to sell. However, there are a few downsides to using Poshmark as a Poshmark seller, including:
- It isn’t an online marketplace you can use to sell everything, like Mercari.
- Poshmark requires a little more work to sell items as you have to continually promote and share the things you have listed.
- A large user base can mean too many of the same items are for sale on the reselling app at any given time.
Mercari vs Poshmark: Which is Better?
Both platforms offer amazing ways to make money on the side by selling things you have and don’t use. But how do the platforms measure up to each other?
- Mercari is very easy to use and has a lower commission fee for sellers. The shipping can be a little more difficult with multiple options and they currently do not allow bundling of items into one package.
- Poshmark is also very user-friendly and has a bigger potential buyer base than Mercari. The items for sale are limited to certain categories. The commission fees are higher than Mercari and you have to continually share your items to get them to the top of user searches. Poshmark does allow you to bundle items into one package.
So in the end, the answer to the question of which is better depends on your needs, how much you want to engage with the platform, and what you want to sell.
Continue Earning with RebateKey!
Another fabulous way to make money from items you purchase is through the use of online rebates. And there’s no better place to get the most bang for your rebate bucks than RebateKey.
RebateKey is an intuitive platform to help you track what you buy and manage the rebate process for you. Between selling things you don’t use and getting money back on products you buy, you can easily make money from the comfort of your home!