Table of Contents
Shopping at Best Buy has its perks, from one-hour curbside pickup to free next-day delivery on thousands of items, and flexible financing options—but one of the best things Best Buy has to offer is its discount program.
Beyond Best Buy coupons, which anyone can use, there’s the Best Buy student discount, which can be used by students enrolled in trade schools, junior colleges, universities, and even teachers and professors.
Ready to save, savvy shopper?
Does Best Buy Offer a Student Discount?
Best Buy offers additional exclusive discounts to students who are currently enrolled in any type of higher education program or students who plan to be in school in the upcoming year. However, your school has to be a US Title IV accredited institution (most community colleges and universities are), and you have to be at least 18 years old.
As long as you meet those requirements, you’ll be able to use your Best Buy student discount as soon as you create an account.
How Do I Sign Up for Best Buy Student Discounts?
Signing up for student discounts isn’t any more difficult than signing up for a standard Best Buy account—here’s what you’ll need to do:
1. Visit Best Buy Student Deals – Go to the Best Buy Student Deals website and click the “Sign Up for Deals” button.
2. Link a Best Buy or Google account – Enter your Best Buy account email and password if you have one, and if you don’t, click “Create one” at the bottom of the page. You can also use the option to sign in with your Gmail username and password—all that matters is that Best Buy has an email address to send you college student discounts.
3. Verify student status – Fill out what kind of school you attend, your birthday, school’s name, and projected graduation date, if applicable. If Best Buy is unable to verify your enrollment as a college student, you may have to manually upload supporting documents like a school ID card or enrollment letter to take advantage of special pricing.
4. View deals – After verifying your eligibility, you can either wait to get your first student discount email from Best Buy, or look at your account online and see what member rewards you have available.
Making an account is quick and easy, but when it comes to using your student discounts, the process gets a little more complex. Unlike a lot of student discounts, student savings at Best Buy aren’t automatically applied with a click of a button or simple promo code at checkout, you have to be approved to make an account before you can start shopping and using offers.
How Can I Get a Discount at Best Buy?
A lot of brands give students a set percentage off of their entire purchase. While Best Buy’s discounts for teachers and students work more like coupons for specific items that you have to clip to use, these Best Buy coupons will still save you tons of money. You may get even better deals than you would’ve with a standard percentage off discount code.
Here’s how to find and use your Best Buy student discount:
- Go to the Best Buy Member Offers site
- Sign in using either your Best Buy account email and password or your Gmail log in, whichever you used to enroll in the student discount program
- Search through the available offers that have the Student Deals icon (a blue box in the right-hand corner of the image)
- Click “Shop Now” when you find something you want and add the item to your cart
- Start the checkout process—your student discount won’t appear yet, but don’t worry, you’ll see it after clicking “Continue to Payment Information”
- During the payment step, expand the My Best Buy Offers and Rewards section, and click “Apply” on the corresponding student exclusive offer
- Once you see the green checkmark indicating that the discount code has been applied and your new, lower purchase total in the Order Summary box, click “Place Your Order”
It’s that simple!
How Can I Maximize Savings at Best Buy?
The Best Buy student discount alone will help you save hundreds of dollars on big-ticket items from big-name brands like Apple, Microsoft, and BOSE, offering some of the best deals on computers, TVs, headphones, and more.
On top of that, there are ways to take advantage of other Best Buy offers and save even more money—here are some ways to do that:
Combine coupons and sales – Sometimes student offers will be for items that are already on sale or correspond with regular Best Buy member offers, giving you both discounts.
Use Best Buy Rewards – The Best Buy Rewards program lets you earn points on every dollar you spend (with faster earning if you become an Elite or Elite Plus member or
when you pay with a Best Buy credit card). Points turn into reward certificates for money off future purchases.
Shop during the Back to School Event – Best Buy’s Back to School Sale runs all summer long and offers up to 50% off select computers, appliances, and other electronics.
Save Even More with RebateKey
Even after you’ve exhausted your ways to save at Best Buy, finding third-party deals can help you save more.
That’s why savvy shoppers start here.
With RebateKey, you can get up to 100% cashback rebates on appliances, electronics, and other accessories. All you have to do is sign up, search for deals, shop, and wait for your check in the mail. Electronics are expensive, so before you make your next purchase, maximize savings by joining RebateKey.