Promo codes are like the magic words that unlock a whole world of savings online. But sometimes, learning how to save money on Amazon is a bit more difficult than clicking your heels together or chanting abracadabra at your computer screen. That can be especially true for using promo codes on Amazon’s (sometimes overwhelming) website and Amazon app.
Consider this article your ticket to mastering Amazon promo codes—what they are, how to use them, and a few more enchanting ways you can save money while shopping online.
Hop on this magic carpet ride to super-saving savviness!
What Does an Amazon Promo Code Look Like?
Before we discuss how to use promo codes on Amazon, let’s look at some examples of promo codes so you know what to look for.
Promo codes (or “promotional codes”) are essentially digital coupons created by brands to entice people to purchase services or goods. Essentially, promo codes (the modern-day coupon code) tell your digital cashier (a.k.a. the website) how much to deduct from your purchase total. This might be a percentage of your total or it might cancel out shipping fees.
Amazon promo codes are typically a combination of letters and numbers. They can be random or have significance to the discount amount or the reason for the special discount. Here are a few examples:
- Percentage discounts might look like something like this: 10PRIME
- Special occasion promotions might be: VDAY15
- Random codes can resemble this one: XDEHY7UK
You can find promo codes in myriad places, including in Amazon newsletters, Amazon’s daily deal pages, and more. (In fact, if you’re looking for more information about how to find Amazon promo codes, we have just the article for you).
How to Add Promo Codes on Amazon
Congratulations—you’ve made a product selection and found a discount code for that shiny new pair of shoes, stunning art deco-inspired planter set, or whatever else is on your Amazon wish list! The next step is to figure out how to enter the promo claim code on Amazon.
Good news: it’s actually pretty simple for an Amazon shopper. The steps include the following:
- Find the item you have a promo code for on Amazon’s website and add it to your shopping cart.
- Once your shopping is complete, click on the button to check out.
- In the payment method section, you will see the text: Add a gift card or promotion code or voucher. In the box next to this text, add the promo code you want to use for the Amazon product. You can enter the Amazon promotional code manually, or you can copy and paste it digitally.
- Click the Apply button to activate the Amazon promotion. You should see the new price reflected in the order summary section.
- Finish your order and enjoy the extra customer savings!
Potential Issues with Your Promo Code
If the code can’t be used, you’ll get a message at checkout stating: The promo code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase. There may be several reasons your code isn’t working:
- The Amazon code is expired and therefore can no longer be used.
- The item in your cart isn’t associated with the code.
- The Amazon discount code was entered incorrectly.
- The code requires a minimum quantity of your purchase and that minimum hasn’t been met.
If you do receive an error message, check to make sure that you have read all of the conditions for using the code. Maybe you just need to add an item to your order to meet the minimum. Or, you may have copied the code with an additional space in it, or there’s a character missing from the code. Double-check that everything is input correctly (and hasn’t expired) then hit “Refresh” and try again—chances are it’ll go through swimmingly.
Other Easy Ways to Save on Amazon
We have some fantastic news: promo codes aren’t the only way to save money when you shop on Amazon. You can find fabulous deals on Amazon with just a few clicks to the header menu on the Amazon home page.
There, you’ll see two other ways to save money:
- Coupons – On the Amazon coupon page, you can find savings on many common products. These coupons are super easy to use. All you
need to do is click on the button that says Clip Coupon. Then, when you add the item to your shopping cart, the coupon will automatically be applied to your purchase.
- Today’s Deals – These savings don’t require any coupon clipping or promo codes. Instead, they’re just discounted prices on a wide variety of items Amazon sells. The sales change daily and the discounts can range from a few dollars to over 40% off in some cases. Sometimes these sales are limited to a certain number of products and when that number is reached, the sale ends. If you see something you need in a daily deal, you should try to buy it right away so you don’t miss out.
- Subscribe and Save – This product subscription feature allows you to save money on your recurring purchases. To learn more about this feature, visit our article about how to cancel Subscribe and Save on Amazon.
The Secret to Saving on Amazon? RebateKEy
After you’ve clipped your digital coupons, worked your promo code magic, and scoured Today’s Deals for bargains, you can keep on Amazon with your fairy godmother of savvy shopping: RebateKey.
RebateKey brings rebates to the 21st century. Browse items from our scores of fantastic brands (including Amazon). From there, you can shop and keep money back in your pocket. All you have to do is create an account, enter your order codes, and enjoy money coming back into your pocket (no mail-in forms required). You can even add a Chrome extension to your browser to automatically track your rebate-eligible purchases.
Say open sesame to a whole new world of savings with RebateKey!