Over the past 8 months, we all have been inundated with questions about how to protect ourselves against covid, we know social distance is a must but what else can we do to prevent this disease that has impacted the world.
While the best evidence continues to support three behaviors as the most effective methods of reducing risk:
- maintaining a physical distance of 6 feet
- wearing a mask
- washing hands frequently and thoroughly, using hand sanitizer
You may have heard of someone that tested positive for Covid and had no symptoms at all, and of someone else who got a lot of symptoms. With this disease one thing is for sure, it will not affect us all the same way. Some are extremely healthy and some of us can have a nutrients deficiency without knowing it.
Some research indicates that certain SUPPLEMENTS could reduce the risk of infection or mitigate the seriousness of symptoms.
So let’s talk about the most helpful ones:
- Vitamin C is vital to the proper functioning of immune cells. It’s also a powerful antioxidant, it has been used for years to reduce the symptoms of colds.
- Zinc is essential for immune-cell development, and some studies have found that it reduces the risk of contracting respiratory infections. It may also reduce the number of days that someone has a cold or other respiratory tract infection.
- Melatonin is best known and most commonly used to boost sleep and reduce anxiety, both of which improve the immune system. It also blocks inflammasome activity, reducing inflammation in the lungs.
- Vitamin D is known to help keep bones strong and might bolster the function of immune cells. It’s unusual among vitamins in that it’s rare in foods but is produced by sunlight in the skin and then converted to its usable form in the kidneys.
- ElderberryThe berries and flowers of elderberry are packed with antioxidants and vitamins that may boost your immune system. They could help tame inflammation, lessen stress, and help protect your heart, too. Elderberry helps prevent and ease cold and flu symptoms.
Remember, the greatest benefit of supplements is likely for people who suffer specific nutrient deficiencies. These are not medications or treatments. If you would like to start taking any supplements please consult your primary physician.
Think of a car missing a wheel. Replacing the fourth wheel will make the car work much better, but adding a fifth-wheel won’t offer any additional benefit and can actually hamper performance. If you eat well and get enough vitamin D you likely have all the nutrients necessary to build a healthy immune system.
Anyone who believes they have COVID-19 should be tested and consult with their primary care provider on the next steps for their care if they test positive.
You can find these supplements on RebateKey, we are here to help you without having you to spend a whole lot of money. You will even find some of them at 100% Rebate.